17 January 2011

Sha Tau Kok Village


Whilst in Hong Kong I was staying at Sha Tau Kok. It's a beautiful village, but you have a Hong Kong ID card to be let in since it's a 'closed area'

(picture via Hong Kong Police Force)
From what I understand you have no reason of being in the village unless you have relatives there or are living therefore most visas do not permit you to pass into the village. The police really dislike their photo taken (my dad was chased decades ago for taking a photo of a police man XD ), they carry hand guns, whether they know how to use them is another thing.

Even though it's a beautiful village I really dislike going through the security check, my spoken Cantonese is extremerly limited and getting my ID checked wasn't always the best experience. Once your bus/taxi/car gets to the border the police check your permits/ID cards and then you are allowed across.

Everyone knows each other in the village, so my brother and I normally get a few weird looks, but after a few visits to the bread bun shop the shopkeeper remembered our normal order (sausage bun and pineapple bread)

When I was taking these photos I spotted a few kitties, but they all ran away from me :(

I wish I took more photos of the scenery and learnt more about the legal system, even though it likes to change all the time. I hope I didn't bore you too much XD



Have you had any probelm with security?
Please join my giveaway ^^
I'm curently looking for penpals who would like to write in German too!


17 comments:

αвву M. said...

wow! looks beautiful there! :)

Miki said...

Beautiful pictures! I'm sorry they weren't nice at the security check :/. I don't understand why people at airports have to be mean! So not necessary! I've never had any problem, but in LA there was this guy who screamed instead of telling you what you do ... "take off your shoes!", "Put the laptop computer parts in SEPARATE plastic containers. Aren't you listening?!" Grrr!

I loved the pics from your previous post, too, but oculdn't understand a single word, haha!

Thess said...

awwww these pics are really beautiful*_* I just sent you an email because I really wanna become your penpal :3

Elisa ♥ said...

wow it looks so pretty =D !!! have been to hk before,, but not at sha tau kok

Anonymous said...

Love the photo's!

Not problems yet, but that's because I have never been to an airport!

Natasha said...

These photos are amazing, and this post wasn't boring it was really interesting! I love learning about different places and customs. And I would write in German, but my GCSE Deutsch is limited! xxx

kaizokumousy said...

wow very nice pictures!*o* I love it all~:)

Heart Charlie said...

Awesome photos, everything looks so interesting! Oooh, closed area makes it all the more intriguing!

Toni Tralala said...

I've never had a problem with security but that place looks so serene. The sandwich you ate sounds interesting. :P

Grimilde said...

beatiful village!

noone said...

wow looks like a great place, very peaceful!!

Sher said...

Oh, it's really such a beautiful place, looks so serene there! Too bad it's a closed area though:(

xx

Anonymous said...

Haha, the customs will take my insulin as a bomb or something. Some idiot try to make a bomb out of it once (saw it in the news) and I'm fairly sure they're all suspecious now!

But, anyway, I AM going to the UK! From April the First till the 4th! With boot! XD And I might go to London, or else to Bournemouth. Are you anywhere near there?

Natasha said...

That's a shame because learning languages is really fun. And I promise I'll put some photos up of what I've made. xxx

Unknown said...

Hey girly I wanted to give you a wee award http://functionalmisfit.blogspot.com/2011/01/favourite-blog-super-blush.html

Morgane ☆ said...

You make me want to travel faaar~. But I really don't understand this thing of "closed area" . _ . It's like people there are all murderer... Or well, it's my point of view ?

Anyway it looks so great *O*

Unknown said...

looking like a great place! :DDD

xx